• Home
  • News
  • “I Thought I Had The Flu.”
“I thought I had the flu.”

“I thought I had the flu.”

Thursday, January 18, 2024


You are probably familiar with numbness in your left arm and amcrushing feeling in your chest as heart attack warning signs. But what if you don’t feel like an elephant is sitting on your chest? Sometimes, the symptoms are subtle and people ignore them, thinking they have indigestion or are getting the flu. This is especially true for women. 


Know the warning signs and call 911 immediately if you experience them. 


Heart attack symptoms in women: 

  • Chest pain, but not always 

  • Pain or pressure in the lower chest or upper abdomen 

  • Jaw, neck or upper back pain 

  • Nausea or vomiting 

  • Shortness of breath 

  • Fainting 

  • Indigestion 

  • Extreme fatigue 


Heart attack symptoms in men: 

  • Squeezing chest pressure or pain 

  • Jaw, neck or back pain 

  • Nausea or vomiting 

  • Shortness of breath 


If you have heart attack symptoms: 

Call 911 immediately. 

The best treatment for a heart attack is to prevent one by taking care of your heart. Your Primary Care Physician can refer you to one of several Genesis heart care locations where you can learn more about diet, exercise and controlling your risk factors. Our Heart & Vascular Institute is at the Genesis main campus in Zanesville with additional offices are in Coshocton, Cambridge and Somerset. 


To learn more, visit genesishcs.org/heart


Ready to get healthy?

Sign up for our digital newsletter to receive health tips, recipes, success stories for inspiration and information about new doctors to help you on your journey to better health.


Genesis HealthCare System’s Health and Wellness content conveniently provides accurate and helpful information. Your health history and current health may impact suggestions provided through our Health and Wellness content. Although we hope this information is helpful, it is not a substitute for your doctor's medical advice. Before making any significant changes, please consult your doctor.